Monday, June 22, 2009

Life is a stage


On Saturday evening, it was opening night for our community theater's annual Murder Mystery in which I play the part of a slightly demented nurse (it's so much fun playing the villain!). Have you ever been a participant in a Murder Mystery? Characters wander around mingling with guests. They share bits and pieces of information about themselves and their relationship with other characters. Guests can ask them questions which actors will answer in character.

In this play there is no script to learn by heart instead we had to do a number of scenes in which our character shares crucial information that would help participants piece together clues that would point to the murderer. It is all improvisation. No two shows are exactly the same.

Unlike typical plays, actors in murder mysteries do not rehearse lines and blocking (where to stand on stage). Rather, the actors spend many hours doing what we call "table work", creating a detailed biography for their character: when they were born and where, what kind of life they led, what brought them to the events of this day, and what possible motives they could have to kill the victim. Then, each actor takes a turn sitting on the "hot seat". Fellow actors ask all kinds of questions in character which forces you, as an actor, to get well acquainted with your character (their personality, fears, hopes, and motivations).

Usually an actor works within the confines of the story as it is written by the author. An actor memorizes his lines and adds his own unique touch through voice intonations, facial expressions, or physical actions but he cannot change the outcome of the story. In a Murder Mystery, an actor works in partnership with the author and the audience and is an active co-creator of the story.

I would say that for some people life is a stage where they perform the same play over and over again. For these people, life is like a Shakespearean play where everyone has a pre-determined role and destiny. Their character has a script, a prescribed way of being. They act their part to fulfill the expectations of others. The character they play limits the actions they can take in life (or so they believe).

I prefer being the author of my own life. I like the idea of improvising my next move as I go with the flow of life. My past serves as an interesting Back Story to my character that neither predicts or confines me into a role. As I reflect on my past I can learn from what has worked well, what was tricky and what I could do differently. I take ownership for my choices, good or bad.

Like the interactions actors have with the audience in a murder mystery, the people I meet along the way help me co-create the scenario of my life. You can't live your life in a bubble without being touched by the people that come into your life and why would you want to? At the same time, you can't let the people in your life dictate the road you should take. Rather, invite them to discover the route and destination along with you.

I know that in the end, I am writing how my story evolves and how it will end. Your life can be as big as your imagination. All you need to do is believe that anything is possible.

If you want to know more about improvisation and the life lessons it teaches us, check out the website of my friend and colleague, Rob Nickerson.

No comments:

Post a Comment